Folk Song, U.S.A.
“Happy Birthday to you” (or simply “Happy Birthday“) is a song that is traditionally sung to celebrate the anniversary of a person’s birth, and one of the most popular party songs. According to the 1998 Guinness World Records, this is the most recognized tune in the English language.
The melody of the rhyme comes from the song “Good Morning to All”. In 1893, Patty Hill and her composer sister Mildred published it in a songbook called “Song Stories for the Kindergarten”.
For even more free kids songs, browse through our collection of nursery rhymes and baby tunes.
Sing-Along Video with lyrics [cheerful version]
Sing-Along Video with lyrics [clean ending]
“Happy Birthday to you” Lyrics
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday, dear ____ _____
Happy Birthday to you.
Free Printable PDF Download
To download a ready-to-print PDF of this song for music activities with a music sheet, lyrics and a colouring sheet for kids, right click (or tap and hold, on mobile devices) on the following link, then choose “Save link as…”.
24 Amazing Versions of “Happy Birthday to You”
Get one version that suits your birthday party only for 0,99$/€!
“Happy Birthday to You” Song Download
♥ To sing the song yourself, click here for a Free Happy Birthday to you (Karaoke Version)
To download a free instrumental mp3, or a music sheet with chords for this song, click on the green icon above.
For the Best Birthday Wishing…
When you celebrate somebody’s special day, you might have to pick the right words to express your feelings.
For endless options of original and unique birthday greetings, visit Birthday Wishes Expert and pick the one you like best.
Other popular versions of “Happy Birthday to you”:
Happy Birthday with minions video
Happy Birthday (Dance Version with countdown)
Interesting Facts about this and other famous Birthday Songs
• “Happy Birthday” is one of the highest-earning songs of all time having made in the region of US$50 million in earnings since it came into existence several decades ago.
• In 1998, the Guinness World Records placed this song at number one on their list of the most popular songs in the English language.
• During the Apollo 9 mission astronauts sang “Happy Birthday” to the then NASA space operations director Christopher Kraft in honor of his birthday, thereby making this song the first song to be performed live in outer space.
• On the first anniversary of NASA’s Curiosity Rover’s landing on Mars on August 5, 2013, NASA scientists at the Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) programmed Curiosity to “sing” the “Happy Birthday” song to itself in a crater on the Red Planet, more than million miles from earth.
• One of the most notable performances of this song was on May 19, 1962 when famed American actress and singer, Marilyn Monroe, sang it to the 35th President of the United States, John F. Kennedy, as he celebrated his 45th birthday at the third Madison Square Garden. Monroe was joined on stage by noted jazz pianist, Hank Jones. Monroe’s version of the song was titled “Happy Birthday, Mr. President”. Monroe died tragically at the age of 36 about three months after that legendary performance.
• Besides “Happy Birthday”, one of the most popular birthday songs is Stevie Wonder’s “Happy Birthday”. Wonder created this single to campaign in favor of having the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. become a national holiday.
• Prior to the song entering into the public domain in 2016, Warner Chappell Music, who had copyright ownership of the song, had been generating as much as $2 million every year from the song through licensing it to be used for commercial purposes. Finally, on Tuesday September 22, 2015, the song was rendered free from copyright after a federal judge ruled so in court.