Despite the fears of its producer and its director, since the day it was released, on December 9, 1965, Bill Melendez’s TV special based on the comic strip Peanuts, by Charles M. Schulz became a classic. After the special screening of A Charlie Brown Christmas, Time Magazine’s television critic Richard Burgheim praised the special and wrote that “A Charlie Brown Christmas is one children’s special this season that bears repeating.”
A Charlie Brown Christmas has become a Christmas staple in the United States, and established the half-hour animated special as a TV tradition, inspiring the creation of How the Grinch Stole Christmas! Lucy, Linus, Sally and of course Charlie managed to overcome their fears, loser attitude and Christmas depression, thus creating an unforgettable and engaging (the critics even called it haunting) experience that has lasted for half a century. These A Charlie Brown Christmas quotes are reminders of the 60’s, but also proof that novelty and going against the flow can sometimes turn out to be a real success.
- ‘For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord.’… That’s what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown. Linus Van Pelt, A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Christmas is getting all you can get while the getting is good. Sally Brown, A Charlie Brown Christmas
- All I want is what I have coming to me. All I want is my fair share. Sally Brown, A Charlie Brown Christmas
- I never eat December snowflakes. I always wait until January. Lucy Van Pelt, A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Every Christmas it’s the same. I always end up playing the shepherd. Shermy, A Charlie Brown Christmas
- I think there must be something wrong with me, Linus. Christmas is coming, but I’m not happy. I don’t feel the way I’m supposed to feel. Charlie Brown, A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Charlie Brown, you’re the only person I know who can take a wonderful season like Christmas and turn it into a problem. Maybe Lucy’s right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you’re the Charlie Browniest. Linus Van Pelt, A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Grownups are the ones who puzzle me at Christmastime…Who, but a grownup, would ruin a beautiful holiday season for himself by suddenly attempting to correspond with four hundred people he doesn’t see all year? Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown’s Christmas Stocking
- Nobody sent me a Christmas card today. I almost wish there weren’t a holiday season. I know nobody likes me. Why do we have to have a holiday season to emphasize it? Charlie Brown, A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Look, Charlie, let’s face it. We all know that Christmas is a big commercial racket. It’s run by a big eastern syndicate, you know. Lucy Van Pelt, A Charlie Brown Christmas
- I never thought it was such a bad little tree. It’s not bad at all, really. Maybe it just needs a little love. Linus Van Pelt, A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Dear Santa Claus, How have you been? Did you have a nice summer? How is your wife? I have been extra good this year, so I have a long list of presents that I want. Please note the size and color of each item, and send as many as possible. If it seems too complicated, make it easy on yourself: just send money. How about tens and twenties? Sally Brown, A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Lucy Van Pelt: I know how you feel about all this Christmas business, getting depressed and all that. It happens to me every year. I never get what I really want. I always get a lot of stupid toys or bicycle or clothes or something like that.
Charlie Brown: What is it you want?
Lucy Van Pelt: Real estate. A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Charlie Brown: Thanks for the Christmas card, Violet.
Violet: I didn’t send you a Christmas card, Charlie Brown.
Charlie Brown: Don’t you know sarcasm when you hear it? A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Lucy: What are you going to do with that blanket when you’re a grown-up?
Linus: I will turn it into a sports jacket. A Charlie Brown Christmas
Did you like this post?
You may also like: